Mount Pleasant Optimisation Project
The Optimisation Project proposes extraction of additional coal reserves within Mount Pleasant Operation Mining Leases and an increase in the rate of coal extraction without significantly increasing the total disturbance footprint. The extraction of additional Project coal reserves would be supported by the use and augmentation of existing approved infrastructure.
What does the Optimisation Project include?The Optimisation Project would include:
- mining of additional coal reserves, including lower coal seams in North Pit;
- staged increase in extraction, handling and processing of run-of-mine (ROM) coal up to 21 million tonnes per annum as mining moves west, away from Muswellbrook;
- increase in average operational workforce to approximately 600 people, with a peak of approximately 830 people;
- giving up part of the approved disturbance area to compensate for new disturbance areas;
- rail transport of up to approximately 17 million tonnes per annum of product coal to domestic and export customers;
- use of innovative mine landform design to provide topographic relief and more natural exterior appearance of waste rock emplacement landforms;
- development of new water management and coal reject dewatering infrastructure;
- construction and operation of new ancillary infrastructure; and
- continuation of the Mount Pleasant Operation through to 22 December 2048.